Learning in Year 5
Termly Overview - Spring 2
For the first part of this term we are reading the book: The Last Wild by Piers Torday. In our reading comprehension we will be covering these objectives:
- Increase familiarity with a range of books;
- Identify themes and conventions and compare these across books they have read;
- Show understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action;
- Discuss words and phrases that capture readers’ interest and imagination;
- Draw inferences about characters’ feelings, thoughts, emotions and actions.
- Apply their growing knowledge of root words, prefixes and suffixes, both to read aloud and to understand the meaning of new words that they meet.
- Ask questions to improve their understanding identifying how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning
- Predict what might happen from details stated and implied.
In our writing, grammar, vocabulary and punctuation, some of the objectives we will be covering are:
- Plan writing by identifying the audience for and purpose of the writing, selecting the appropriate form
- Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading
- Draft and write by selecting appropriate grammar and vocabulary
- In narratives, describe settings, characters and atmosphere, integrate dialogue to convey character and advance action
- Use a range of devices to build cohesion within and across paragraphs
- Evaluate and edit by proposing changes to vocabulary, grammar and punctuation
- Proof-read for spelling and punctuation errors
- Perform their own compositions, using appropriate intonation, volume, movement so that meaning is clear
- Prepare play scripts to read aloud.
- Select appropriate grammar and vocabulary, and understand how such choices can change and enhance meaning.
This term in Maths we are covering a variety of topics including:
- Number- Multiplication and Division
- Decimals and Percentages
- Perimeter and area
This term we are learning about the Earth’s Layers:
In History we are finding out about The French Revolution and Napoleon.
In Art we are discovering the famous Artists: Katshushika Hokusai and Toulouse-Lautrec and learning about printmaking.
We are finding out about these Composers and their music:
- George Frederic Handel
- Franz Joseph Hadyn
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Scott Japlin
In Geography we are studying New Zealand. It’s capital cities, landmarks, The Maori people and their culture. We will then move on to studying the South Pacific Islands.
We are focusing on Christianity and learning about the Easter Story.
We are creating Stop-Motion Animation and learning to edit this. We will also be creating voice-overs and title scenes.